Anyone living in Virginia can tell you that hurricane season is an extremely unpredictable time when it comes to weather. There have been several huge storms in the last few years, and it’s nearly impossible to predict which storms will be a big problem for homeowners across the state. Most of the time when a powerful storm comes through we get maybe a week’s notice before it hits, just enough time to buy up all the bread and milk at the neighborhood Kroger. Unfortunately, that is rarely enough time to take other important precautionary measures, like having a home generator installed.
While having a home generator isn’t a strict necessity, it can save you tons of money and keep your family comfortable during inclement weather situations. While hurricanes and ice storms are fairly rare, it helps to be prepared when they do eventually come around. Here are some of the top reasons to have a generator installed in your home:
- Minimize Food Loss – Everyone has a refrigerator, and many families these days have a chest freezer as well to keep extra food handy. In the event of a power outage that lasts a day or more, all of the food in both your fridge and freezer can go to waste. Often that can be several hundred dollars’ worth of food depending on how much you store at one time. Even a small home generator has enough power to easily keep your fridge and freezer running, saving you hundreds on food that would have otherwise gone to waste.
- Keep the Water Running – If you aren’t on city water lines, chances are you get your water from an electric well. That means if your power goes out for an extended period, you could be stuck taking showers at the YMCA. Not to mention you won’t be able to flush the toilet or get a glass of water until the power comes back on. Powering an electric well is one of the top reasons that many people choose to get a home generator, and it is one of the best ways to ensure your family’s comfort during a long term power outage.
- Keep the Lights On – This one is probably the most obvious reason for having a home generator, or at least the first thing that most people think about. Some people enjoy hanging out by candlelight during a power outage, but it’s also nice to have access to all of your normal creature comforts in the event of extended power loss.
- Power Life-Saving Medical Equipment – For some people, loss of power is a serious threat to health and safety. Oxygen machines, home dialysis machines, and a handful of other home medical devices require constant power to maintain proper functionality. If you rely on one of these devices and your power goes out in the middle of the night you could be in a potentially dangerous situation. A home generator with an automatic switch could save your life in the event of a late night power outage.
- Maintain Comfortable Temperatures – Most people don’t really think about their heating and air conditioning until it stops working. A home generator can keep you and your family warm if you have a power outage during a blizzard or ice storm. Sometimes in the case of an outage during inclement winter weather, it can take days before the power company is able to access the lines to fix the problem. Being without central heat during that time can be extremely uncomfortable for you, your family, and even your pets.
These are just a few of the reasons to purchase and install a generator for your home. It’s not terribly often that the power goes out for days at a time, but when it does you want to be prepared. Not to mention, having a generator installed will boost your property values if you ever decide to sell your house.
If you’re not sure what size or type of generator you’ll need for your home, talk to a local generator installation technician. I live in Richmond and I had the team at Bradley Mechanical install my home generator. Their knowledgeable technicians helped me pick a generator that would cover all of my needs in the event of a power outage.
Choosing a generator can be a daunting task, but with a little help from the right people you’ll be hooked up with reliable backup power in no time. A home generator will give you peace of mind when hurricane season rolls around because you know that no matter what happens you’ll be comfortable and safe in your home.